Sunday, September 18, 2011

Farewell to Summer Redux

First of all, I want to share with you, that the new issue of Kosher Inspired magazine is out and that the story on the cover was written by yours truly!!! I developed 4 original recipes using honey to inspire a sweet Rosh Hashana for everyone. I learned some fascinating facts about the sweetener while researching it. I'd love if you read it and told me what you think! 

Now, let's get to Farewell to Summer Redux:

I was maniacally running at the end of last week, and I ended up at Manhattan's Flatiron district on Friday morning after school drop off. I bought the tools I needed for the cake order I was working on and took a detour to the Union Square market with no menu in mind and some guests coming over for dinner that night.
As always, I got ridiculously excited at the sight of all the produce displayed and couldn't contain myself (left my camera home, so I'll share pix next time I visit...).
I spent all the cash I had on me and ended up paying three of the farmers by check, and the nice lady at the last stand gave me a price cut that I fulfilled with coins.
I nostalgically bought some of the last summer corn, heirloom tomatoes, huge peaches, baby zucchini, fresh edamame, raw honey, concord grapes, tiny strawberries, sweet potato greens (which were AMAZING. Creamy, mild, and very pleasant sauteed in extra virgin olive oil, and just some salt and pepper), and to keep the fever going, some small, round and dark-skinned eggplants.
My arms and back were killing me all the way home, and when I finally rested my heavy purchases, I got to work. I settled on a purely vegetarian meal. My meat-lover husband wasn't that thrilled when he heard the news, but at the end, dinner was not as terrible as his vegan nightmares had pictured it.
Everything was so fresh and flavorful, that it was easy to enjoy.
I revisited my last post (Sep, 14) to work on the crisp recipe and turned it into a savory dish.

I cubed tomatoes, baby zucchini and round eggplants without even bothering to peel anything and shucked one ear of corn. I threw it all in a large baking pan, sprinkled the mixture with organic corn starch, sea salt, freshly ground black pepper and a splash of balsamic vinegar.

I made the topping by mixing whole spelt flour, sliced almonds, grapeseed oil veganaise, extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper. I spread the mixture on the veggie filling and into the oven it went.

It was delicious, really. I'm thinking of using the same recipe over and over, just changing the veggies depending on the season. I'm sure it would be great with carrots, squash, turnips, sweet potatoes, etc, and maybe ground Parmesan cheese, lemon zest, spices and/or fresh herbs mixed in the topping.
Again, if you'd like to skip the almonds, you can always substitute them with seeds like pepitas or sunflower seeds.

SAVORY SUMMER VEGETABLES CRISP
  • Super ingredients: Antioxidant, vitamin, mineral and fiber charged tomatoes, eggplants, zucchini, corn and almonds
  • Vegan, egg, dairy, and wheat free
Filling:
2 large ripe tomatoes (preferably heirloom), cubed
2 small Japanese eggplants, cubed
4 baby zucchini, cut into 1/2 inch rounds
1 corn ear, shucked
1 Tablespoon organic corn starch
2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Topping:
5 ounces (1 1/4 cup) whole spelt flour
5 ounces (1 1/4 cups) sliced almonds*
3 ounces (1/3 cup) grapeseed Veganaise

1 ounce (2 Tablespoons) extra virgin olive oil
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

No comments: