Saturday, August 6, 2011

Fresh fruit ice pops

I was in Costco (ahhh, that temple where dimensions and perceptions change and the American Dream comes true! Then you get back to your cramped apartment and can’t find room for your 9 extra large jars of Dijon mustard that were cheaper than 1 mini jar at Food Emporium. The dream evaporates…) the other day with my son. While approaching the cashier, a magazine called my name. I obeyed (as I always do when I see food, fashion or gossip magazines).

This special issue of Everyday FOOD, A Martha Stewart Magazine had a gorgeous cover: a single ice pop with whole pieces of colorful fruit framed in ice. It looked beautiful, refreshing and right up my alley. I threw the magazine into my enormous double-toddler-seat cart along with the 96 toilet paper roll pack and the 572 limes sac.
Once at home, when my detective/daughter found it, she begged we made the pops in the picture right away.

It was pure genius! The recipe, developed by Lesley Stockton and photographed by Con Poulos doesn’t even need an actual recipe. The concept is brilliant and flexible, child friendly and a wonderful summer activity. It has no added sugar (yes, grape juice is very sweet). I’m just sorry I didn’t come up with the idea myself!
Fruit Salad Ice Pops (Everyday FOOD)

I’m including the link for the original recipe, but feel free to use any seasonal fruit you have at home (the sweeter the fruit, the better the pops). 


Cut it into pieces (raspberries, blueberries and blackberries can go in whole), and put it in the ice pop molds, making sure the fruit fits in tightly. I cut the fruit with my 6-year-old daughter and she did the rest.

Fill up the molds with white-grape juice, covering all the fruit.

Place the mold’s tops and freeze overnight.

My kids devoured them with satisfaction as big as Costco's merchandise and I was really proud I got them to eat part of their 5-a-day in total peace!


Fruit Salad Ice Pops (Everyday FOOD)

No comments: